Building Safety staff provides permit services, building plan check, building inspections, onsite wastewater treatment system installation inspections, geotechnical plan review, grading, and drainage plan check. View Applications, Forms, and Fees.
In Building Plan Check, a plans examiner reviews structural/working plans to determine whether they conform to the Building Code.
During the Plan Check process, plans may also need to be reviewed by
- Los Angeles County Fire Department
- City staff - Planning, Geology, Coastal Engineering, Wastewater/Environmental Health, Public Works, and/or Biology.
Plans Examiner: Monday - Thursday, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Public Counter Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
To obtain a permit, complete and submit an application at the Public Counter. Provide the following information.
- Identify and describe the work
- Describe the project site by legal description, street address, or similar description that will readily identify the proposed project
- Indicate the use and occupancy for project site
- Include construction documents and other information as required in Section 106 of the 2017 County of Los Angeles Building Code
- State the valuation of the proposed project
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
The City requires Construction and Demolition (C&D) project managers to recycle or reuse a minimum 65% of the waste generated. Download the C&D Debris Recycling Packet to get started. At the end of your project, complete a Recycling Report. Owner/Builders and Project Managers must provide haul tickets and diversion information.
- Applications, Forms, and Fees
- Builders Recycling Resource List
- Material Conversion Worksheet
- Carpet Reclamation
- PaintCare Program
Your project manager/builder and City permitted hauler should be informed of C&D reporting requirements. Any hauler not on the permitted hauler list is working in Malibu illegally and will be referred to Code Enforcement.